Permanent Materials: MDO and Laminates
There are occasions when wood or any one of several other composite materials is the appropriate substrate to use for your outdoor signage needs. There are a number of different materials that can fill these requirements. Medium Density Overlay Plywood (MDO), Alumalite®, Omega® board, DiBond® to name a few. All are durable and versatile, materials designed for a wide variety of outdoor uses including these types of signage:
- Site Signs
- Directional Signs
- Identification Signs
Wood and Composite Materials - What are they?
Medium Density Overlay, MDO, is dense plywood with a very thin paper film on either one or both sides. Its rigid, flat surface is ideal for painting.
- Alumalite® consists of aluminum outer surface with a corrugated plastic core.
- Dibond® consists of aluminum outer surface permanently bonded to a solid polyethylene core.
- LusterBoard® is exterior plywood with prefinished aluminum face on one or both sides.
- Omega SignBoard® offers a white vinyl surface over a hardwood plywood core stronger and lighter than MDO.
Most of these materials are not commonly stocked in house, therefore extra time is needed at the time of your order.
Wood and Composite Materials can be cut to various lengths and widths, maximum size is 48" x 96".
Available in the following thicknesses:
- MDO: 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" 1"
- Alumalite®: 6mm thick (approximately 1/4")
- Dibond®: 2mm, 3mm and 4mm
- LusterBoard®: 1/4" and 1/2"
- Omega SignBoard®: 1/2"
There are several ways you can increase the value and effectiveness of your wood signs:
- Adding striping and/or borders
- Using custom color
- Applying additional lettering colors
- Customizing your installation
- Adding a graphic symbol
- Adding a logo
Installation and Care
Professional installation is recommended. Signs made from wood can be displayed in several ways:
- Bolted to posts and planted in the ground
- Bolted to walls